REDUCING PLASTIC WASTE
One Restaurant at a Time
The Ocean Friendly Restaurant program increases awareness, drives change in behavior and ultimately creates scalable impact to reduce plastic waste. One restaurant, one customer at a time.
WHAT MAKES A RESTAURANT OCEAN FRIENDLY?
Restaurants participating must follow the first four criteria:
1. No expanded polystyrene use (aka Styrofoam).
2. Proper recycling practices are followed.
3. Only reusable tableware is used for onsite dining, and disposable utensils for takeout food are provided only upon request.
4. No plastic bags offered for takeout or to-go orders.
And choose a minimum of three of these criteria as well:
5. Plastic straws are provided only upon request.
6. No beverages sold in plastic bottles.
7. Discount is offered for customers with reusable cup, mug, bag, etc.
8. Vegetarian/vegan food options are offered on a regular basis; and / or all seafood must be a ‘Best Choice’ or ‘Good Alternative’ as defined by Seafood Watch or certified as sustainable.
9. Water conservation efforts, such as low-flow faucets and toilets, are implemented.
10. Energy efficiency efforts such as LED lighting and Energy Star appliances, are in place.
Restaurants who meet all 10 of the criteria are recognized as a Platinum Level Ocean Friendly Restaurant.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
- Show your support by frequenting our registered Ocean Friendly Restaurants and let them know you found them on the OFR webpage
- Ask for water and other drinks in a reusable glass instead of plastic
- Bring your own reusable cup for takeout coffee, and remember to ask for a reusable mug when ordering “for here”
- Bring a reusable water bottle to avoid purchasing plastic bottles of water
- If you think you may have leftovers, bring your own reusable container instead of getting a disposable container from the restaurant
- Always bring your own bag when picking up takeout food
Say “no straw” whenever you order a drink (even take-out and drive-thru), and take the No Straw Pledge
REGISTER YOUR FAVORITE RESTAURANT
Anyone can become part of the OFR team and register restaurants to be Ocean Friendly. Join us at a committee meeting to find out exactly how the process works.
Benefits of being an Ocean Friendly Restaurant
We offer restaurants several incentives for their Ocean Friendly practices.
- Promotion to more than 30,000 San Diego County consumers through:
- social media
- our website
- email blasts
- community events and beach cleanups
- Optional collateral including: OFR window sticker, table-toppers, diner brochures, bill stuffers and poster
- Collaborative promotions such as launch parties or coupon days promoted to our members
- Train wait staff about campaign
- Vendor pamphlet with alternative material sources and pricing, including negotiated discounts
JOIN THE TEAM
OUR NEWEST OFR’s
Siam Imperial 226 Palm Ave. Imperial Beach, Ca. 91932 619-621-6650 http://www.siamimperial.com/ Siam Imperial wanted to raise awareness on ocean pollution among the community and start with our children at...read more
SEA180 800 Seacoast Dr. Imperial Beach, CA. 91932 619-631-4949 https://www.cohnrestaurants.com/sea180 Being a family-owned business the Cohn Restaurant Group takes great pride in the local community and cherishes all that San Diego has to offer, especially our...read more
Acqua California Bistro 1775 E. Mission Bay Dr San Diego, CA 92109 619-275-7922 http://www.sandiegohilton.com/acqua-restaurant.aspx A message from Acqua: Air and water pollution, global warming, smog, deforestation, wildfires, plastic in our landfills are just few of...read more
LJ Crafted Wines 5621 La Jolla Blvd La Jolla, CA 92037 (858) 551-8890 Thank you Surfrider Foundation for all you do, and especially for setting high environmental standards in the restaurant industry. We are proud to be the first fully registered Platinum Level...read more
Red House Kitchen 775 13th St. 91932 Imperial Beach, California (619) 934-3133 https://www.facebook.com/redhousekitchenib/ "We wanted to become an OFR because we feel that the waste we create, along with the food that we eat, can have an enormous impact on our...read more
Prepkitchen Del Mar 1201 Camino Del Mar Del Mar, CA 92014 (858) 792-7737 http://prepkitchendelmar.com/ Carefully sourced American fare such as house-cured meats & inventive cocktails in a stylish...read more
Sbicca 215 15th St Del Mar, CA 92014 (858) 481-1001 http://sbiccadelmar.com/ Del Mar’s Neighborhood Restaurant For almost 16 years, Sbicca has been welcoming locals and visitors to enjoy fresh California cuisine and outstanding wines in a casual and friendly...read more
Kitchen 1540 1540 Camino Del Mar Del Mar, CA 92014 (858) 793-6460 http://www.laubergedelmar.com/dining/restaurants-del-mar-california?utm_source=google-knowledge-graph&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=my_business_page Modern and comfortable, our signature restaurant...read more
Coastline 1540 Camino Del Mar Del Mar, CA 92014 (858) 793-6460 http://www.laubergedelmar.com/dining/del-mar-waterfront-dining Coastline Restaurant offers outdoor dining off our main lobby. This relaxed, casual restaurant offers ocean views, and is open for breakfast,...read more